How to Wear Summer Hats: 15+ Ways to Style Hats
As the hot summer sun rises higher and higher in the sky, I’m sure we can all agree that accessorizing with a stylish hat is a great way to protect your face from its damaging rays. But why does it have to stop there? Why not make something functional also fashionable?
After all, owning a beautiful hat goes beyond just wanting sun protection - wearing one can help you make any outfit look instantly more put-together and add extra style points!
For many years working as a fashion stylist, I’ve seen clients of all ages, sizes, and backgrounds experiment with different types of hats, so I’m here to help you get inspired.
So if you’re interested in learning more about how to wear hats this summer, then buckle up – because I’m about to give you 15+ of the most eye-catching ways how to style them!
The Best Sun Hats for Women
If you want to keep the sun out of your face, the best sun hats for women are wide-brimmed straw hats. Not only will this hat protect your face from the sun, but it’ll also give you a timelessly chic and romantic look.
Still, there are also many other interesting styles that you can choose from.
Here are some of the most popular pieces:
• Loewe Fringe Raffia Sun Hat - This wide-brimmed hat is made from 100% raffia, and it features a fringed edge for an effortlessly stylish look. It is the perfect accessory for any summer look.
• Steve Madden Women’s Fedora - This classic piece is a timelessly stylish favorite. It looks great with any outfit, especially when paired with an oversized outfit.
• Miu Miu raffia ribbon sun hat - If you’re looking for a more fashion-forward accessory, then this Miu Miu piece is perfect for you. It features an oversized brim with a dotted ribbon band around the crown.
• Emily Levine check swirl hat - This 100% cotton crochet hat is perfect for a more boho-inspired look. It features an all-over check swirl pattern, as well as a wide brim that will keep the sun out of your face.
• Clyde Lona Hat - This Clyde piece is perfect for those who want something a bit more eye-catching. It is a wide-brimmed hat with an all-over striped pattern. It also features a unique oversized brim, making it the perfect summer accessory.
These are just several of the many sun hats for women that are available this summer. With so many styles to choose from, it’s easy to find one that suits your personal style. Now, let’s move on to learn how to choose the best hat for you!
How to Find the Right Hat for You
If you’re struggling to find the right hat for yourself, here are a few tips I have learned throughout my years of styling.
1. Consider Your Face Shape
The key to finding a hat that looks good on you is to consider your face shape before anything else. Here are some tips on how to choose the best summer hat based on your face shape:
• For those with an oval face shape, the best thing to do is pick a hat with a wide brim. It will draw attention away from your forehead and lengthen the look of your face.
• For woman with a round face shape, choose a hat with a narrower brim that is not too bulky. It will create the illusion of an oval-shaped face while also adding definition.
• For those with a heart-shaped face, opt for a hat that has a wider brim. It will help draw attention away from the chin and balance out your face shape.
2. Consider the Color of Your Skin
If you want to look your best in any hat, then it’s important to consider the color of your skin.
• For those with a fair complexion, try to opt for lighter colors such as white, beige, and cream. These shades will brighten up your complexion while also giving your look a bit of contrast.
• For women with a darker complexion, opt for bolder colors such as black, navy blue, and red. These shades will help to bring out your complexion and make you look more striking.
3. Consider the Color of the Outfit
When choosing a hat, it’s also important to consider the color of the outfit that you’re wearing. The colors should complement each other and create a cohesive look.
• If you’re wearing a white dress, opt for a bold hat color such as red or navy blue. It will create a striking contrast and make you stand out from the crowd.
• If you’re wearing an all-black outfit, then try to choose a hat in a lighter color, such as white or beige. It will make a nice balance and give your look some contrast.
• For those days when you want to wear something colorful, wear plain hats of any style that will suit your outfit.
4. Consider the Occasion
The type of hat you choose should also depend on the occasion.
• For a more formal look, opt for a classic piece such as a fedora or a trilby. These pieces will instantly add an element of sophistication to your look.
• Opt for a wide-brimmed straw hat or a beret for a casual look. These pieces will give your look an effortless and cool vibe.
These are just several tips on how to choose the right hat for you this summer. With so many styles and colors, you’re sure to find the perfect piece for any summer look. So what are you waiting for? Get out there and start shopping!
15+ Summer Outfits with Hats
So, now that you know how to choose a hat, let’s take a look at some of the best summer outfits with hats.
1. Classic Straw Hat with Jeans and a Tee
This classic look is perfect for those days when you want to keep it simple but still look stylish. Just grab your favorite pair of jeans and a white tee, and top it off with a straw hat for an easy but chic look.
2. Floppy Hat with a Maxi Dress
This classic summer look is perfect for any occasion. Celebrities like Rihanna and Gigi Hadid have been spotted sporting similar looks, so why not give it a try yourself? Just grab your favorite maxi dress, some sunglasses, and a floppy hat for an effortless summer look.
3. Panama Hat with Linen Shorts and a Crop Top
This look is perfect for those days when you want to keep it casual but still look stylish. Just take your favorite pair of linen shorts and a crop top, and top it off with a panama hat for an effortless summer look.
4. Beret with a Denim Skirt and Tank Top
This classic look is perfect for any casual occasion. You can easily dress it up or down, depending on the occasion. Achieve the perfect effortless chic look by pairing your favorite denim skirt with a tank top and topping it off with a beret.
5. Bucket Hat with a Denim Jacket and Jeans
This edgy look is perfect for those days when you want to impress others. So, wear your favorite denim jacket and jeans to go along with a bucket hat for an easy but stylish look.
6. Baseball Cap with a Midi Dress and Sneakers
This look is perfect for those days when you want to keep it comfortable and casual. Hailey Bieber has been spotted rocking this look, and it’s perfect for running errands or just a casual day out. So, grab your favorite midi dress and sneakers, and top it off with a baseball cap for an effortless look.
7. Fedora with Wide-Leg Trousers and a Blouse
This classic look is perfect for any formal occasion. However, if you want to look stylish, take your favorite pair of wide-leg trousers and a blouse, and top it off with a fedora for a sophisticated outfit.
8. Beanie with a Leather Jacket and Jeans
This look is perfect for those days when you want to keep it edgy and cool. You can wear your perfect jeans and a leather jacket and top it off with a beanie for an easy but stylish look.
9. Visor with Shorts and a Tank Top
If you want to keep it sporty and cool, then this outfit is for you. Wear your favorite pair of shorts and a tank top, and top it off with a visor to make an impressive statement.
10. Newsboy Cap with a Skirt and Sweater
This look is perfect for those days when you want to keep it stylish but comfortable. Blake Lively prefers this look, and it’s perfect for any occasion. So, wear your favorite skirt and sweater, and top it off with a newsboy cap for a classy and sophisticated look.
11. Trucker Hat with T-Shirt and Jeans
For those days when you want to keep it casual but still look stylish, this outfit is the way to go. Wear your favorite t-shirt and jeans, and top it off with a trucker hat for an effortless look.
12. Cowboy Hat with a Jumpsuit and Sandals
Cowboy hats are usually associated with festivals but can also be styled casually. Take your favorite jumpsuit and sandals and top them off with a cowboy hat for a stylish and effortless look.
13. Boater Hat with a Sundress and Sandals
Sundresses are essential pieces for summer, and this look is the perfect way to show them off. A boater hat with a sundress is perfect for a day at the beach or just a casual outing.
14. Straw Hat with Boho Dress and Sandals
If you like boho style, then this look is perfect for you. Just take your favorite dress and sandals and top them off with a straw hat to achieve the perfect effortless summer look.
15. Bucket Hat with a Romper and Sandals
This look is perfect for those days you want to keep it casual and comfortable. Wear your favorite romper and sandals, and top it off with a bucket hat to achieve the perfect summer look to make a statement.
There are so many different and stylish ways to keep your look fresh and on-trend with hats this summer. So go ahead and experiment with the different looks and have fun in the sun.
Hats are an essential accessory to complete any look. From fedoras to baseball caps, there are many different styles and looks to choose from.
Choosing the right hat for the right occasion can make all the difference in your look. From denim skirts to rompers, hats are a great way to complete any outfit.
Experiment with different hats and accessories to create the perfect summer look. Have fun in the sun! It’s time to make a statement with your hats this summer!