An Expert Guide on Choosing the Right Necklace Length
Are you stumped on how to choose the right necklace length? You're not alone! It can be tricky to figure out, especially if you're unsure what look you're going for. But don't worry, I'm here to help.
As a jewelry expert, I've put together this quick guide on choosing the right necklace length. With these tips, you'll have no problem finding a necklace to complement any outfit and body type. So let's get started!
Standard Necklace Lengths
Regarding necklace lengths, there are a few different options to choose from. A standard length is 18 inches, but other popular choices include 16", 20", 22", 24", and even 30 inches. Of course, your length will depend on a few factors, including your height and neckline.
If you're petite, a 16 or 18 inch necklace is probably your best bet. You can get away with a longer necklace - 20 inches or more if you're taller.
The neckline of your shirt is also essential. If you're wearing a high neckline, you'll want a shorter necklace that hits right at the base of your throat. On the other hand, if you're wearing a V-neck or scoop neck, you can go for a longer necklace that falls right in the middle.
Read about some standard necklace lengths and their matching necklines below:
Choker 14" -16"
This length is often seen as a choker-style necklace. It hits right at the base of your neck and can be worn with high and low necklines. If you have a long neck, this length will accentuate it.
Princess 17" -19"
17-19-inch or princess is the most popular length for a reason! You can style this piece with different necklines. If you are taller, this length will sit right at your collarbone.
Furthermore, you can fashion this necklace with any outfit - effortlessly going from a relaxed, everyday style to a glamorous evening appearance.
Matinee 20"- 24"
Such necklace length is great for layering with other necklaces or wearing alone and pairs well with most necklines. Such a necklace hits right between the collarbone and the bust.
Furthermore, such necklaces are the perfect accessory for both low and plunging necklines. Additionally, this length of jewelry flatters lower necklines more than any other style.
Opera 28 "-34"
The opera length is very versatile. You can wear it long or double up to create different looks. It is often seen as a statement piece worn with high and low necklines. If you are petite, this length may overwhelm your frame. But, if you are taller, it will accentuate your neck and décolletage.
Rope 36" or Longer
36-inch necklace is the longest standard necklace and is an excellent choice for taller women or those who want to make a real statement. It hangs near your stomach and is perfect for layering or wearing alone.
This necklace is incredibly flattering with higher necklines, such as boat necks, cowl necks, and turtlenecks.
So, there you have it! These are the most popular standard necklace lengths to choose from. Of course, the best way to determine the perfect length for you is to consider your height and neckline.
Choosing Chain Lengths for Women
By picking the right necklace, you can take any outfit to the next level and make it more polished. The length of the necklace is key to achieving this goal—too long or too short creates an imbalance. Before choosing a chain length, consider your height, neckline, body type, style, and face shape.
Here are several tips:
· If you have a smaller bust, try wearing a long 24 - to 30-inch thin or layered chain.
· Avoid necklaces below the breast line, as they will not hang properly. Instead, pick a chain that sits slightly higher on the body, like one 18 to 22 inches long.
· If you're into a more bohemian look, go for long, 24- to 30- inch layered necklaces. Such chains are suitable for both elegant business and evening wear.
· If you prefer a cleaner look, choose a sleek and simple chain that falls right at the collarbone. For example, you can wear a 16-inch choker or an 18-inch princess chain.
· And if you like to keep things classic, consider a 20- to 22-inch Matinee chain. Such a length sits well between the collarbone and the bust and matches great for business and casual wear.
· Short necklaces and chokers are not flattering on women with round faces, as they will only emphasize the face's circular shape.
· Women with oval-shaped faces are lucky because they can wear any shape, length, or type of necklace. Short necklaces, like chokers, look great on heart-shaped faces. They create the illusion of fullness and help to balance out a narrow chin.
· If you want to make a long face look shorter and soften its edges, go for shorter necklaces. For example, opt for a choker or princess-length necklace that measures 16" -18". Short, round necklaces will also help achieve this look without adding extra length.
Just like choosing the fitting jeans, it's essential to consider what style of necklace flatters your body type before you make a purchase. So, keep these guidelines in mind next time you look for the perfect necklace!
Choosing chain lengths for men
Choosing the right chain length is vital for both style and comfort. The standard length for a man's chain is 18 inches. However, they can range from 14 inches to 36 inches.
So, as in the case of women, the best way to choose a chain length for men is to consider not only height and neckline but also body composition, face shape, and style.
· If you have a large or stocky build, a longer chain will help to balance your proportions. For example, you can choose a 24-inch chain if you are 6 feet tall and have a large build. On the other hand, if you are on the slim side, a shorter chain will look better on you. A 14- or 16-inch chain should do the trick.
· If you have a long face, a shorter chain will help to create the illusion of width. For example, you can opt for a 16-inch chain if you have a long face. On the other hand, if you have a round face, a longer chain will help to elongate your features. In such a case, you can choose a 24-inch chain.
· If you're looking for a men's chain that is the right size, 20 inches is usually the best length. It will sit at the collarbone. However, if you want to wear a chain with a cross, medallion, or dog tag, it might be better to choose a longer necklace. On the other hand, for a more casual look, a shorter chain is often the best choice.
NB! If you are unsure about the right length, it is always better to go for a longer chain. You can always tuck it in or double it up to create a shorter necklace.
What is The Most Popular Necklace Length?
There's no one answer to the question of what is the most popular necklace length. It depends on various factors, including personal preference, the style of the necklace, and the outfit's neckline. However, many experts agree that an 18-inch necklace is the most common. Why?
18-inch is a versatile length that can be worn with various outfit necklines. Plus, it's not too short or long, making it the perfect choice for many people.
This necklace will sit right at the base of your neck, above any lower-cut clothing or higher-necked outfits. Pendants worn at this length will sit in a V shape that flatters your face.
If you're looking for a necklace that you can wear daily, an 18-inch chain is a great option.
How to Measure for a Necklace, Chain, or Pendant?
Regarding fashion, some key pieces can make or break an outfit. One of those critical pieces is a necklace. The right necklace can make any outfit sophisticated, but the wrong one can be downright tacky. So how do you ensure you choose the right necklace for your outfit?
Measure Your Neck
To save time and money, measure the circumference of your neck before purchasing a necklace. The easiest way to do this is with a piece of string.
Simply wrap the string around your neck, mark where the two ends meet, and then measure the string with a ruler. If you don't have a string on hand, you can also use a measuring tape.
You should add four inches to your neck measurement for an average necklace length. A pendant necklace should cascade down in a V-effect. However, for chokers, only add two inches to your neck measurement for a comfortable fit.
Check the Length of Your Neck
The next thing to take into account when choosing a necklace is to consider your neck length. You can do it by measuring with a flexible tape measure. For the length, start from the base of your neck and end at Adam's apple. Write down this measurement.
If you have a short neck, you'll want to avoid chunky, bulky necklaces that will make your neck look even shorter. Instead, go for dainty chains or pendants that fall below the collarbone.
If you have a long neck, you can pull off any necklace, but consider the width of the chain. A thin chain looks more elegant than a thick one. But if you want to show off your neck, go for a choker or a necklace that hits the base of the throat.
Measure the Width of Your Neck
To measure your neck width, start from one side of your neck and measure to the other. The average neck width is about 5 inches.
If you have a wide neck and are thinking about getting a choker-style necklace, you might need to size up an inch or two. This means adding three to four inches instead of just two to your neck measurement.
Take into Account Your Height
Your height is also something to consider when choosing a necklace. If you're on the shorter side, you'll want to avoid long necklaces that will make you look even shorter. Instead, stick to necklaces that fall right at the collarbone or just below.
If you're tall, you can get away with any necklace. Just make sure it's in proportion to your body and doesn't look too small or dainty.
Consider Your Body Type
Your body type is also something to think about when choosing a necklace. If you're petite, you'll want to avoid bulky necklaces that overwhelm your frame. Instead, stick to dainty chains or pendants.
If you're plus-size, you can pull off any necklace. Just make sure it's in proportion to your body and doesn't look too small or dainty.
Don't Forget About Your Face Shape
Another factor to consider when picking out a necklace is your face shape. For example, if you have a round face, you'll want to avoid chokers or necklaces that hit right at the base of the throat. Instead, go for a necklace that falls just below the collarbone.
If your face is oval, pull off any necklace. Just make sure it's in proportion to your body and doesn't look too small or dainty.
Consider Your Style
Of course, you also need to consider your style when choosing a necklace. If you're more of a casual dresser, you'll want to steer clear of formal-looking necklaces. Instead, stick to something simple and understated.
If you're more glamorous and elegant, you can wear a statement necklace. Just make sure it suits well the rest of your outfit.
So, there you have it! These are just a few things to remember when choosing a necklace. Remember to consider your neck size, height, body type, face shape, and personal style. With these things in mind, you can find the perfect necklace for any outfit!
Necklace lengths can be tricky to choose. But, with the right information and a little practice, you'll be able to pick out the perfect necklace length for any outfit in no time!
We hope this guide has been helpful and that you will revisit our website soon for more fashion tips and advice.